Friday, August 10, 2007

Walkability

One thing I have always loved about my mom's houses in Seattle is the walkability factor. We walked to the grocery store, the library, the coffee shop, restaurants, parks, etc. As a kid, summertime was wide open because everything was within walking distance - no need to wait for a ride. So I was thrilled to discover a website that rates the walkability of any location - walkscore.com.

My current location got an 11 out of 100 - and I think that score is too high because someone nearby sells nutrition supplements out of their home, so it looks like food is a short walk away, but it really isn't. If you do check it out - please post your walkscore in the comments, I would love to see who lives in the walkiest place.

6 comments:

Elena said...

What a fun little site...My score was 18, which is debatable. The grocery store is super close, but you have to cross over highway on-ramps with no sidewalks; that part bothers me. If there were more sidewalks, I would walk everywhere around the neighborhood. But crossing through highway stuff is a little risky.

I just got back from Boston with Genny and we walked everywhere! I loved it! I plugged in her address and it was 88. I am jealous.

sunsetandcamden said...

My score was 48. It's probably pretty accurate, but I don't really go to any of the closest places, so maybe not. I should walk more though. Maybe if I didn't have two kids to lug around with me, I would. I bet where we're going to live in China is a lot higher though. I can't wait! I love walking cities.

Lady William said...

Wow, that's cool. My score was 51!

Dancin Queen said...

Tag you're it. See my blog for details.

Cara said...

my walk score was 40 but we are getting a lot of new shopping soon and very close so I'm sure it will go down. Now only if it wasn't 120 degrees out, I would walk more! I found you through dancing queen.

LissaDora said...

My walk score was 65. I lvoe my neighborhood for that - We're very close to the artsy district, a five-minute walk from the farmer's market, but we're also three blocks from one of the more ghetto neighborhoods, so rent is low. If I could live in a nicer house (then my current apartment) in the same location forever, I probably would.

Failing that (and moving seems likely), I plan to use the WalkScore to get a better idea of the neighborhoods we may be moving into. Brilliant idea!