Friday, August 10, 2007

Walkability

One thing I have always loved about my mom's houses in Seattle is the walkability factor. We walked to the grocery store, the library, the coffee shop, restaurants, parks, etc. As a kid, summertime was wide open because everything was within walking distance - no need to wait for a ride. So I was thrilled to discover a website that rates the walkability of any location - walkscore.com.

My current location got an 11 out of 100 - and I think that score is too high because someone nearby sells nutrition supplements out of their home, so it looks like food is a short walk away, but it really isn't. If you do check it out - please post your walkscore in the comments, I would love to see who lives in the walkiest place.

6 comments:

E said...

What a fun little site...My score was 18, which is debatable. The grocery store is super close, but you have to cross over highway on-ramps with no sidewalks; that part bothers me. If there were more sidewalks, I would walk everywhere around the neighborhood. But crossing through highway stuff is a little risky.

I just got back from Boston with Genny and we walked everywhere! I loved it! I plugged in her address and it was 88. I am jealous.

sunsetandcamden said...

My score was 48. It's probably pretty accurate, but I don't really go to any of the closest places, so maybe not. I should walk more though. Maybe if I didn't have two kids to lug around with me, I would. I bet where we're going to live in China is a lot higher though. I can't wait! I love walking cities.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's cool. My score was 51!

Wendi said...

Tag you're it. See my blog for details.

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

my walk score was 40 but we are getting a lot of new shopping soon and very close so I'm sure it will go down. Now only if it wasn't 120 degrees out, I would walk more! I found you through dancing queen.

LissaDora said...

My walk score was 65. I lvoe my neighborhood for that - We're very close to the artsy district, a five-minute walk from the farmer's market, but we're also three blocks from one of the more ghetto neighborhoods, so rent is low. If I could live in a nicer house (then my current apartment) in the same location forever, I probably would.

Failing that (and moving seems likely), I plan to use the WalkScore to get a better idea of the neighborhoods we may be moving into. Brilliant idea!