Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Iraq

My current job deals with Iraq quite a bit. Yesterday in fact, I found myself sitting across the table from the Deputy Prime Minister for Iraq and the Iraqi Ambassador. Quite humbling actually.

I have had some time to think about Iraq and while I generally hope not to bring on political comments, since my job is in the apex of most political debates, perhaps I should just say - bring it on!

Iraq has some complex problems and issues that it faces and the tone of many (most) experts is cynasism. That said, this is an exciting time to be in the thick of things. We (the Americans) are leaving and the Iraqis are stepping up to the plate to take over their own security. Obviously only time will tell, but our legacy here could well be an amazingly positive one. I for one am extremely hopeful and "cautiously optimistic" (if there is such a thing).

3 comments:

Desiree said...

I hope you are right!

Madame said...

I work my butt off everyday to make it so - let's hope in the end it is worth it. :)

David said...

What an amazing opportunity. I hope you write more on this.