Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bike love

One of the things that I have been most excited about with working from my house was the fact that I could stop commuting and instead pick up bicycling.  So far, both the loss of the commute and more bike mobility have been awesome.

Last week, I got to pick Audrey up from school (only 1.5 miles away, but over a couple good hills) a couple of times on my bike.  Unfortunately for her, she has to ride a scooter back because I have to bring her method of transit with me on my bike.  Today, I picked her up from her last day of school on the bike.  I was trying to beat the rain, but I did not succeed.  She and I were drenched by the time we got back.  What a memorable way to start the summer!

When I lived in Japan everyone rode bikes everywhere.  That was my primary form of transportation and even now I am totally comfortable carrying all kinds of crazy things on a bike.  I had no problem jimmy rigging Audrey's scooter, helmet, a water bottle, and snack into Meredith's baby seat up front and securing it with plastic bags.  Even so, I do plan to get a bike rack, and bungee cords.  I got some strange looks and I had to lean back at an awkward angle when I turned so I didn't whack myself with the scooter.

Another thing I love about bikes is that I can do all the maintenance and fixing.  Bikes are simple and pretty straight forward.  I put my bike together and I have fiddled with the brakes a couple of times to get them right.  Really it is ideal for the tinkerer in me.  I need to put together a bike kit with a couple of spare tire tubes and tire replacement tools, perhaps a bit of bike grease, and a better pump.  The bike I bought from Costco included all the tools I needed to put it together (#ilovecostco), so I feel pretty good about my basic adjustment tools already.

The only real downside to bikes is that bike helmets and sun hats are not as compatible as I would like.  I am working on that though. :)

No comments: