Friday, February 10, 2006

Don't Eat Pete


My sister Elena is engaged! I haven't met the fellow yet, but he seems like a nice enough guy.

The crazy thing is they have only known each other and been dating for a few months. Don't worry though, they aren't rushing things, the wedding isn't until June 30th. Craziness.

I happened to mention that it all seemed to be happening rather fast to her. Her response was, "when you know - you know". I guess that is true. And who am I to doubt that she knows. It just worries me because she has always been a bit of a serial monogamist. She has a serious boyfriend within one week after she is broken up with the previous guy. I just don't want the rose colored glasses to come off too late. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Pete is a bad guy or that there is anything wrong with him at all. In fact, I am quite sure I will like him tremendously. I just don't want Elena to find out a few months or years too late that they aren't really as compatible as she thought. I mean the first few months of every relationship is really just the honeymoon phase.

Having already stated my concerns to her though, I am just going to keep my mouth shut from here on out and hope for the best. Lots of happy couples know right away when they find each other.

We used to play this game as a family called (strangely enough), "Don't Eat Pete". It was a laminated piece of paper with 9 squares on it. Each square had a different face. One member of the family would step out of the room and the rest of the family would decide which face was "Pete". The person who had left the room would return to find a game board with nine m&ms over the nine faces. They would pick up and eat each of the m&ms one at a time, until they started to take the m&m over the designated "Pete". And this was the fun part - we would all yell "Don't Eat Pete!" And their turn would be over, regardless of how many m&ms they got.

It looks like Elena has finished her turn tasting m&ms and has found her "Pete" - literally.

No comments: