Friday, October 26, 2012

Dishes

Anyone who has been to my house knows that my dishwasher is mediocre.  It looks nice and fancy - stainless steel can mask a variety of ills - but it truly does not clean well and usually things come out looking a little dull.  So I tried rinse aids and vinegar and different types of soaps - all with little success.  Eventually, I came to just more or less wash my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, where I would run the normal cycle and have them coming out dull but allegedly clean.

After a few years of that - ok, maybe it was 5 or 6 years - I figured I would try just hand washing my dishes.  It turns out, that the process of hand-washing and rinsing is faster and my dishes are cleaner. So I have been doing my dishes by hand for about a year and it works pretty well.  I still use my lovely dishwasher occasionally (mostly as a drying rack) and at some point might switch back to using it full-time.  For now however, I am doing dishes old-school.  Also, a big thank you to Aunt Myrtle (Desiree's mom) who taught me how to hand-wash dishes efficiently when I was a teen-ager.

No comments: