Sunday, July 14, 2013

Transition

There are so many things to transition after having worked at the same firm for so long.  I had to buy several new electronic gadgets - a phone (which I still don't have and I am trying to keep my old number, but am not confident in that process) and a computer (Ryan's school computer is super old, so this new computer will be a family computer).

Even bigger than that - the complete transition in my head from the corporate rat race to a calmer and slower pace.  I realized today that I am now my own boss.  I own my time - how awesome is that!  I can plan my day with the girls however I want.  I can focus on the garden, or make a big batch of granola bars, or take the girls to the park, or none of the above.  It is awesome.  I feel so free!

The flip-side of freedom from that corporate job is freedom from a paycheck...  I have been much more mindful of how I spend money.  I am usually pretty good at recognizing where Ryan could clean up his spending ;), but less good at seeing how my own little justifications add up.  So that has been an interesting transition as well. It turns out that I find little ways to spend a few dollars here and there all the time, a magazine here, a new ball of yarn there. 

1 comment:

Texas Homesteader said...

It took me a while to get out of the corporate mindset when I left an upper management position I held at my place of employment for over 20 years - and I worried about that transition. When you work for so long at a place, that work is much of what defines you in your life. But after that early transition I've found that I'm much more mindful in my days - what a joy!

~Taylor-Made Ranch~
Wolfe City, Texas