Monday, January 30, 2006

My own Word of Wisdom

As a Mormon, I felt that the Word of Wisdom was a good idea. I liked the idea that God had given a guide to healthy living. As an ex-Mormon, I still think it is important to live a healthy lifestyle, especially with food.

Some of the things I would like to incorporate into my own personal Healthy Life Guide from the original Word of Wisdom are:

1. Grains - "All grain is good for the food of man" DC 89:16. Whole grains especially just feel good when you eat them. I love a bowl of brown rice cereal in the morning or a sandwhich on a hearty bread.
2. Fresh fruits and vegetables and herbs, especially those in season - "Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these things to be used with prudence and thanksgiving." DC 89:11. I have wanted to have my own garden for a long time. I really love good fresh fruit and veggies. And having fresh herbs makes all the difference. Maybe I should start with an herb garden.
3. Moderation - I cannot find an exact scripture for this one, but I know from countless Sunday school lessons that this is one of the primary ideas behind the WoW. I actually think this one needs a more prominent role in my own life. I.e., it is all good and well to eat healthy delicious foods, but if you eat too much of them, it is still not healthy.

No comments: