Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Networking

That same training also talked about the importance of networking and talked about specific types of networks that are key to success.  It motivated me to reach outside my comfort zone and ask for a networking call with the SES 3-star equivalent that I worked for at the Pentagon.  To my surprise and delight, she agreed to meet with me and we chatted for 45 min yesterday.  One of the things that she said that you don't often hear as career feedback is to worry less about what those above you think and more about what those at your level think.  She told me about several jobs/promotions that happened for her because, unbeknownst to her at the time, an old colleague was now on the selection committee or in a place of influence and spoke highly of her.

As it turns out right now I am helping on the recruiting side for a 12 proposal bundle.  I immediately turned to old colleagues with the relevant experience and asked if they were interested in the opportunity.  The three that I asked were all very interested.  Today, I was finally able to assure that all three are being bid in key roles in this proposal bundle.  I loved doing that, it made my day.  I think this is an awesome opportunity for each of them and I had to advocate on their behalf (unbeknownst to them) for their inclusion.

I am seeing exactly what that lovely mentor said in action.  That is pretty cool. 

No comments: